Friday, May 1, 2015

Roar-O-Saurus! :D

So... little old Story Land in Glen, NH..
One of the first parks I ever visited and something that I kinda hold near and dear, in a memory lane sort-of-way, completely blew my mind at IAAPA 2013, when they announced the park would be building a new Gravity Group family wood coaster annddd that it would be dinosaur themed! My jaw pretty much dropped at the announcement of Roar-O-Saurus and I knew I'd have to make the nearly 1,500 mile trek to the park for it. (each way!) ...I also had to amusingly explain to my parents that we haavveeee to go to Story Land next summer!!! Having ridden Gravity Groups other family woodie, Wooden Warrior at Quassy Amusement Park, I had pretty high expectations for the ride. (and it didn't disappoint). Not only was it amazing to think Story Land was really gonna step their game up by adding a pretty sizable coaster, it would also be the first wood coaster built in the state of New Hampshire since 1936. (My beloved Yankee Cannonball!)
So to get there, I flew from Orlando, FL to Atlanta, GA; Atlanta, GA to Hartford, CT; and from there drove a rental to Ashland, NH.. the geographical center of New Hampshire, by way of Vermont (for the first time since 2009) with a stop at Six Flags New England along the way... After meeting with my family in Ashland (on their own vacation in New Hampshire at the time) I drove them all the remaining 60 miles to Story Land so I could ride Roar-O-Saurus. (and have 'family time')
Woo!
Oh man! Roar-O-Saurus!
Complete with dinosaur theming!
Rawr! Er, make that ROAR!
Ride info and queue entrance.
I kinda wish the park had gone with a nicer fence.
Roar-O-Saurus' AWESOME themed Timberliners.
The train heading up the 40 foot lift hill.
And now coming down the 38 foot drop!
(Well, 38.5 foot drop)
Flying out of the mid-ride tunnel.
And flying past the station!
(Also, this is an extremely unflattering photo of that lady in blue....)
(Man... if it wasn't for that fence...)
Such a beautiful ride in such a lovely setting
way to go Story Land!
Woo!
 (Oh yeah, and its that guy...)

Its kind of amazing to me, even still, that Story Land ended up with this fantastic little coaster. When Kennywood Entertainment Company took over the park, I knew it was in safe hands... but with the buy-out by Parques Reunidos I was slightly nervous to see what they would do to the park.... If Roar-O-Saurus is any indication, I'm OK with it! :D
Also, more parks need these little, yet super powerful, family wood coasters!

POV from CoasterForce, via YouTube!

And uh, the bonus Twitter stuff.
Roar-O photo - Photo
Roar-O video (via Vine) - Video

yay.

(and while I really enjoyed Roar-O-Saurus, I'd still give the slightest edge to Wooden Warrior)

No comments:

Post a Comment