Thursday, June 4, 2015

10 years ago today, a look back at Libertyland.

Uh, because throwback Trip-Reports are cool?
When digging around one of my external hard drives, I found all my photos from 2005 including some from an amazing trip I was on across the Midwestern US and decided to make a post for Libertyland, one of the parks visited on that trip, 10 years ago. 2005 also happened to be the parks final season and while unknown at the time, it was pretty clear the parks days were indeed numbered.

 Libertyland on June 4th, 2005.
10 years ago, today.
My first park visit in Tennessee and my most western park, at the time.
Libertyland park map.
 Zippin Pippin was the parks star attraction. And as the sign says, was Elvis' favorite ride.
It was also the second oldest coaster in the world at the time
(based off the 1912 stats, not the 1923 one)
 And a really fun ride! I was surprised how good it was, seeing is how I had only known one other person who had ridden it.. and while they spoke well of it, it seemed rather invisible to the rest of the Coaster Community.
 I got three rides on it, and would have taken a few more had time not had been an issue.
(its kinda odd how many times I say that in this TR, if only I knew how little time I really would have had) 
The coaster sat idle for just over four years before being removed.

The other major coaster in the park was Revolution.
It was a standard Arrow Loop and Corkscrew model
It ran pretty well for its age but again, time time time, no time for a re-ride!
In 2006 the coaster was dismantled in Memphis and sent to DelGrosso's Amusement Park in Tipton, Pennsylvania where it sat abandon for five years before once again being relocated... this time to the Philippines! And there, finally reopening in 2014, as the Zimerman Corkscrew Coaster. 
(I myself visited DelGrosso's back in 2008 and got to see the coaster stacked up in storage.)

And... the parks third in and final coaster was a Wisdom Dragon Wagon model.
One of the most basic-of models....
But I squeezed my ass in the car, sideways, and got my credit on it!
(and there might be an amusing story out there somewhere of how I went about doing so...)
 Kamikaze was an older model of the basic looping flat. It had an odd Lap-bar/OTSR combo I'd never seen before. Also, our ride on it was rather memorable due to other riders uh, over reactions to the pretty average ride.
(MY ASS OUT DA SEAT! MY AZZZZZZ!!!! SHUT YO ASS UP!!!)
(I wish I knew where my video of THAT went!)
 Rebellion, was the newest ride in the park.
 It was a 90 foot tall Fabbri built drop tower.. and it was rather fantastic! I manged to get 3 rides on it and was in line for #4 when the park closed for the day... Unlike most every park I've visited, where they cycle out the queue after park close, Libertyland just said "we're closed, everyone out of line!"
Rebellion was one of the few rides to make it out of the park after it closed. It reopened in 2007 at Ghost Town in the Sky in North Carolina and ran until that park closed, in 2009.
 Deka had never been on a Paratrooper before, so we got in line for the parks Rim-Driven model. At the time this was only the second time I'd seen a rim model (everywhere always had the Hydraulic-Arm type) Sadly, the ride went down as we were next-to-next to getting on and with limited time, we bailed rather than wasting time in hopes it would reopen.
 The park also had a Chance Sea Dragon... but again, with limited time... it was skipped.
 And I also regret missing out on the parks flume, the Old Hickory Log Flume. 
But this was one of the few rides in the park with an actual line.
 Turnpike Antique Cars
Nice little waterfall.
 The Grand Carousel
After Libertyland closed, it was disassembled and put into storage where it remains awaiting its relocation to the Children’s Museum of Memphis (hoping for 2017)
 And one last ride photo, of the parks Chance Wipeout.
And now for two random bonus trashcan photos!
(because.. well.. odd paint jobs?)
 umm
uhh...
Yup, poor, poor Libertyland.
If only the park had a little more money and could have kept going. It was actually a nice little park and while I only got to do a few things and spend maybe 4 hours in the park, it was fun and if I was given the chance to revisit it, I gladly would. With the parks closure, Memphis was left without any sort of amusement park, in fact, the nearest park to the city is Magic Springs & Crystal Falls in Hot Springs, Arkansas. A nearly 200 mile drive from the city. It was kinda strange walking around the park. It was really a nice smaller park and there was no real reason for it to fail, outside of money, the parks downfall.. But even as a first time / one time visitor, it was pretty obvious the parks days were numbered although it was still pretty surprising to find out Libertyland was to close for good just four months after my visit. 2005 was a rough year for smaller parks I guess. Not only was Libertyland lost... but another great, even smaller park I visited later that year would end up closing for good, too, Williams Grove Amusement Park in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania.

And for a super awesome bonus.....
I have an on-ride video of Zippin Pippin, I uploaded to YouTube back in 2007.
<3 Such a great ride
There were a few efforts to save the coaster and the park itself, but in time they all failed and ride by ride things were sold, trashed, and left to rot. Now, 10 years later, the land where the park was is just an open field used as an overflow parking lot parking lot known as Tiger Lane, for tailgating purposes prior to University of Memphis football games at the Liberty Bowl.

Zippin Pippin did get 'reborn' at the super fun Bay Beach Amusement Park in Green Bay, WI. And while it wasn't the original ride, moved. It is a nearly identical clone, with updated trains.. And it runs amazingly! (100% worth the effort and visiting Green Bay!) and was also constructed using parts of a different coaster that also once operated in the state of Tennessee. (That might be a first right there...)

Annddd... that's how this lovely photo of me came about
August 20, 2012
(that I absolutely love, for its geekyness)
A photo of me standing with the 'new' Zippin Pippin at Bay Beach holding the Zippin Pippin shirt I got form the original, at Libertyland in Memphis.

((RIP Libertyland))

7 comments:

  1. I miss Libertyland it was so much fun one of my favorite theme parks that was close to where I live.One of my favorite rides was the Zippin Pippin which was Elvis 's favorite ride and I'm a HUGE Elvis fan so that was a plus for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Libertyland closed down for the same reason every decent Mall in Memphis shut down. Gang activities and hoards of unruly kids who were dropped off there to cause trouble. Memphis can't have ANYTHING nice, the "citizens" always seem to ruin anything nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, I agree 100% with Jizm Jim...the main reason Libertyland went down is the same reason the city of Memphis is a black eye for the US: morons with no idea how to be civilized human beings. Gang members and thugs have taken over a city that has (or did have) so much potential to be an amazing place to visit, and the leadership for Memphis basically allows this to happen because they are apples that didn't fall far from the tree. The city is nothing but scum that have no purpose whatsoever on this earth. It's quite sad because my family would make a trip there every year to visit. Now I would feel safer going to Afghanistan than Memphis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For those who didn't know; the space where Libertyland once was is now one of the most popular Disc Golf courses in the area. It still defers to tailgaters during the football games, but us disc golfers enjoy it very much. I went to Libertyland once as a kid and wasn't overly impressed having already been to Six Flags over Georgia. It's probably not fair to blame a set of people on the park's demise, it was dated and there is no chance ion hell that Libertyland would have survived the recession.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya Memphis got reed of liberty land.fair ground s. All fun we had.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi James,

    I'm writing a book about the history of Libertyland and would like to know if you'd be interested in sharing some of these photos for the book. Please send me an email: rememberlibertyland[a]gmail.com. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sit in the parking lot daily eating lunch and reminiscing about Liberty Land. Loved it. We don't have nothing like it here. You have to drive at least a 100 miles to get close to a theme park.Not only was it a place of fun, but good summer jobs to keep teens busy during the summer breaks. Memphis doesn't value tradition, historical sites, and places that made Memphis what it was. Lived here all my life, but because of negativity that circles us,( Martin Luther King's assasination, third in the country for crime,high prices,no jobs etc), sometimes I'm ashamed of my hometown. Memphis and I have a love/hate relationship. If I wasn't born here and married my husband, and just simply wasn't deeply rooted here since birth, I would probably relocate. Oh well....Oh and some blame has to go to misuse of funds by crooked politicians and city councilmen as well. Just saying...

    ReplyDelete