Tuesday, July 21, 2015

(Day 2) “Oh, haven’t we stood in five different states long enough?”

Also, Arches National Park is amazing!

Well, since both of us woke up super early, like.. before our alarm clock early... and since we hadn't adjusted to the timezone changes.. we hit the road for Moab (ahead of schedule too!) Today was gonna be the longest of drives, some 500 miles worth between Price and Albuquerque so the sooner the better, I guess. First up was something I'd wanted to do for a while, visiting Arches National Park and then heading to the amusing Four Corners Monument.
And away we go.
The drive down to Arches was just under 2 hours (with a stop for gas and drinks for our hike)
Also, these 80 mph speed limits!
Even before getting to the National Park, the landscape was pretty awesome.
I mean, you don't have views like this in Orlando...
(Or Boston for that matter!)
Alllllmost there!
Sweet, Arches National Park
(Bucket List item!)
Rocks.. and stuff
One of the valley areas
Making our way up to Courthouse Towers or Park Avenue
Views from along the auto road.
 The Three Gossips
rocks rocks rocks
And also.... Balanced Rock
A little creek with evidence of a duck... although none were seen.
Pretty landscapes with an arch in the distance.
Once parking at the Delicate Arch lot we started our hike.
Oh yeah, there isn't any cell service out here!
Slickrock, this part was pretty strenuous... but after this there weren't anymore large uphill sections. 
In all you gain about 500 feet in elevation.
Some neat rock formations.
Shade = good.
It was pretty amazing feeling the difference between standing in the shade vs out in the sun.
Rob was pretty miserable out in the sun / heat. I held up better... but was glad I had my water with me.
I made the quick climb up to Frame Arch along the way
Where I got my first view of Delicate Arch!
But there's still a bit of a hike to make before you really get there.
Walking this part of the trail early in the morning was nice... Sticking along the wall edge, vs the drop off into doom.... On the way back the trail was much busier with two way traffic making me walk on the drop off side.
The edge of the trail dropping off into the valley.
Ah, the famous Delicate Arch. Getting here before most of the crowds was worth it. While there were people around, it was still pretty empty and from photos I've seen, we lucked out.
The areas down below the arch.
Damn, that was a hike!
Ok, got my photo, lets leave!
Views along the 3 mile trip
One last photo of Delicate Arch.
We spent a good amount of time at the Arch, mostly just sitting in the shade resting up for the hike back, thankfully its mostly downhill this time!
Ooooh, an illegal rock stack!
(we saw a bunch)
Walking back to the car, parts of the trail were an actual path.
Once getting to the car and blasting the AC for a bit we drove over to another area of the park to find Double Arch and some of the Windows.
Walking up to Double Arch
The area here is massive compared to Delicate and with way less people. Its also the tallest Arch in the park.
Don't mind me, I'm just hanging over the edge of certain DOOM
One last look at the massive Double Arch.
While Delicate Arch is the famous arch, Double was much more impressive to me.
<3 Cacti <3
The Auto-Road back to the visitor center
D'oh! I wish we had seen this sign BEFORE making the trek... But it was worth it.
Arches National Park was pretty fantastic and I'd love to come back again and see the things we missed this time around but because Four Corners closed at 4pm we had to leave Arches with enough time to get there before it closed.
Ok, time to drive a few hundred miles.. again.
IN THE CAR SELFIE!
Random rock formations along the road.
Large open nothingness's
Pretty pretty
Oh man! The DINOSAUR Museum!
#1 thing to add to the "Next Time" list!
Stopping for gas and snacks at a A&W Grill / Gas Station combo in Blanding, UT
Oh man, a bear!
Also... Cups advertising Cannibal
(D'oh!)
Um.. and for some reason, a full sized Bowling Ally?
Must be a Utah thing....
Ah... and back on the road again.....
Rocks... in the middle of nowhere southern Utah... but suddenly!
Welcome to Colorful Colorado!
Where we drove the entire length of Colorado State Highway 41!
(Yeah, all 10 miles of it!)
Annddd welcome to New Mexico! (State #42 for me)
And the World Famous Four Corners Monument
BEHOLD! The epicenter of Roadside America!
Yaayyy! Welcome to the line!
After paying our $5 entrance fee we waited here for our chance to stand in the Four Corners
See, the title of this post is based off this right here... But when the Simpson's visited
The whole thing was pretty tacky... but also amazing and amusing.
After waiting my turn to go out into the center I spun around and took my four photos and has Rob take a photo of me all while everyone still in line watched. 
New Mexico!
Colorado!
Utah!
And...uh... Arizona!
Well, here I am?
Not really sure what to do now....
Ha, another quick photo of the marker.
Along the sides of the monument are little gift shop stalls selling different Native American items as well as drinks and snacks... and T-Shirts
Oh man... Tacos!
But with 250 miles to drive, I didn't wanna risk it.
The area around the monument is really pretty too, although in the middle of nothing. Again, no phone service here either.
This walking trail was part of the attraction... but neither of us were willing to make the hike
("that's where you go to get murdered!")
Magnificent desolation?
Just the insane amount of nothing out here was incredible to me.
While I would love to... We've still got 4 more hours of driving to do.
(sorry)
I'm pretty sure this is Thunder Mountain. 
(Its actually Shiprock Tsé Bitʼaʼí, a 1,583 foot monadnock... and it can be seen for miles and miles)
Ah... and....
The road to Albuquerque <3
Oh hey, is that a coaster over there? Hmm.. I'd rather just get to the hotel and sleep... after eating at Fuddruckers. But I mean, I did just drive +500 miles across four states! Ha

Bonus Twitter Stuff!
 Arches National Park - Photo
Delicate Arch - Photo
Double Arch - Photo
Double Arch video (via Vine) - Video
Four Corners Monument - Photo

Woo

No comments:

Post a Comment