Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Adventure Park USA... and stuff

Well, after my lovely walk around Downtown Frederick and at the Monocacy National Battlefield... it was time to get down to business and start tracking down some new-for-me coasters as well as a couple of re-credits. When I first, first started to plan out my visit to DC to spend time with my parents a few months ago... Adventure Park was the *only* park I had planned to visit... And then came Hershey since it was ooooh-so-close at that point and I really, really wanted to ride Skyrush. Somehow it all ballooned into Cedar Point, Kennywood, and Conneaut too! I had even looked into adding Ocean City, MD in the same day as Adventure Park but because rides there didn't open until 3, it was unrealistic to venture out that way and still make my 8 pm flight out of National... So I took the hit... and visited the hole that was once pretty good, Six Flags America.

But yeah... Adventure Park USA!
Woo... new for me park visits!
Adventure Park USA in New Market, Maryland..
Just outside of Frederick.
The main entrance and also home to a restaurant, arcade, and a few of the parks attractions.
I got to Adventure Park just after their posted opening and while themed to a Ghost Town... it was pretty true in the fact I was the only one here...
The Hang ‘Em High Ropes Course and some arcade things
Gold Rush Prospector Playground
And in the arcade were the Spin Zone Bumper Cars.
Also inside of the main building was some laser tag and a rock climbing wall.
The park also has 2 different mini-golf courses, Thunderin’ Falls and Dry Gulch.
The parks Carousel, maybe someday they'll be able to replace it with a real one.
<3 Yeesss! The Mini-Himalaya had a cactus centerpiece.
The parks remaining Kart Track, the Horseless Carriage Go Karts.
One of the parks coasters replaced the second track last year.
A seemingly out of place Frog Hopper.
Older Eli Scrambler in the back of the park
And an older Tilt-A-Whirl pretending to be a G5 Model without its top on!
But... there are coaster to be ridden here...woo
First up for me was Tumbleweed!
Some might think its odd to head off to the kiddie coaster first.. but there is a reasoning to my madness here, see. 1 - It was the only actual 'new' for me coaster here and....
2 - I'd rather ride the kiddie coasters right away and move onto the bigger rides in favor of being seen shamefully getting my +1 credit.
So here you go... Tumbleweed. I wasn't even sure if adults could ride. It only showed up here last summer and since its a park less-visited by the coaster community, I hadn't heard either way... So I asked.
I also opted for the pay-per-ride option. Getting enough points to just ride the 3 coasters was slightly less than the day pass and because I had placed to be, I just did points.
And... I was given my ride... Haha, but hey... +1
(#835 if you're keeping track)
Up next... and across the park...
Hey look! Its the old Windstorm from Old Town!
(And they completed the painting Old Town never did!)
Windstorm, now the Wild West Express.
It opened here in Maryland last summer but since I had ridden it in Kissimmee, it wasn't a new credit.
(2003 was the first time I rode it there :) )
From the top of the lift, you can pretty much see the entire place...
And since I got here right after opening... I had the park pretty much to myself... Outside of one other family, I didn't even see people on rides.. So most of my photos are static :/ Oh well.
While still somewhat rough... Wild West Express is in far better condition than when it was in Florida
And it looks nice, fully repainted
As I was leaving, these two people took a ride.. and therefore are in all of my photos of the coaster
operating, ha.
And lastly... the coaster that was the first for Adventure Park USA
(and controversial at the time)
Wildcat!
The Schwarzkopf built Wildcat relocated from Williams Grove Amusement Park.
Williams Grove closed for good in 2005 (the year I made my visit, thankfully) and opened here in Maryland in 2007. So... not a new credit.. but a really fun one!
(And look, its the same family in my photo again)
Uh... the loading area is kinda strange. You load from the station as shown in this photo.. and then dispatch past this secondary station ahead.
(maybe its used to load wheelchair guests? I don't know, it seemed odd to me.. so I took a photo of it)
<3 Wildcats <3
Getting harder and harder to find. RCDB lists 9 still operating in parks.. 4 of them in the US... I've ridden 2 of those... and I should be getting #3 in a few days.
(and for what its worth I've ridden 6 of them in total?)
Oh yeah.. and its, uh, that guy... again.

I'm sure if I had stuck around a bit longer more people would have shown up and I could have got some better photos in. (it looked like they were getting ready for someones birthday party as I left, but since I wanted hit up Six Flags America for a few hours before heading back to the airport and flying back to Orlando, I headed out for the hour drive to Largo. But Adventure Park USA is a nice smaller place. Its also kinda amusing to think such a small park has 3 coasters, 2 of them being pretty major... And one is a Schwarzkopf! I could see this place becoming like Fun Spot in the next few years.. They sure have the room to expand... but I don't know if they would have the local support to get bigger or not, time will tell. Either way, if I was in the area again.. I'd gladly stop.
(and hopefully by then... coaster #4 will show up :P )
Woo

2 comments: