Thursday, November 3, 2016

Montani Semper Liberi, Charleston.

Well, since I only just drove past it some seven years ago......
On my way home to Florida from Ohio, I made a quick detour to the West Virginia State House in Charleston, West Virginia.
Since there wasn't anywhere to (legally) park... This was a fast photo-n-dash stop, sadly. I would have liked to stop and maybe spend some time touring around.. But the only parking spots I saw for blocks were 'reserved' despite all of them being empty...  I just took my few photos and left.

Woo, the Capitol Complex
Map of the area.
Historical marker in front of the building.
The State House.
Built from 1925 to 1931 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Annddd.... at a height almost 300 feet, it's the tallest building in the state.
(or shorter than at least six roller coasters I've ridden!)
Hey look! I'm in West Virginia, willingly.
The Abraham Lincoln Walks At Midnight statue
The Capitol is built right along the Kanawha River, a tributary of the Ohio River.
...and there's also this Zero Mile Stone marker there.
Uh, the West Virginia State Capitol Zero Mile Stone, its used for all highway measurements in the state.

Yup, checking off another state house visit. :D
(woo)

No comments:

Post a Comment