Saturday, April 13, 2013

Counting Counties // Wasting Gas

I blame Jamminj
Random post time... Ok, so, I've started "County Counting" just another pointless thing to keep track of and keep count of. As if Coasters, States, and Countries weren't enough... Anyways  Mr.JamminJ found this site that lets you tick-off your visited counties and makes a map for you.. After a few hours over a week or so.... My map looks something like this....
Some 27 years of traveling and countless miles driven, with more on the horizon. I feel pretty accomplished. Oh, and here's a link to Jay's map....

Ok, so here we go....
After a rained out weekend here in the Sunshine State... I set off on a quest to add one (3) more Floridan counties (and complete my southern FL ones while at it!) but to make it worth while I also visited a beautiful state park that I'll post about laters... yeah
So the blue counties I've been to.. Yellow have now been added... and well... the grey ones are on the to-do list I guess. Damn
Ok, lets start county counting!
So we start at Orange County, where I live in Orlando. Woo!
Armadillo live here too!!!
Osceola County is up next...
Lets keep driving....
Into Polk County we go!
Where I rolled 18781 miles in my car!
To get to Highlands County! (+1)
And spend the morning exploring Highlands Hammock State Park in Sebring, FL.
(real Florida - CHECK)
Here's where things got... interesting, kinda.
Highlands was really all I had planned but after looking at my GPS and a map.. I decided to make a run for just one more county to the south.
Glades County! (+1)
Where the police don't seem to care I'm taking a photo...
And where they have BEARS for the next 12 miles, at least.
and then by pure accident... to get gas (after my GPS sent us to a now-closed gas station in Lake Placid, FL....)
Hendry County (+1)
See, gas! yaayyy... in LaBelle, FL.
And its about this point where I realize I'm some 150 miles from home. oops.

BONUS PHOTOS VIA TWITTER! :O
Highlands County treeeees
Swamp walk at Hammock State Park
The closed "open" tower in Lake Placid, FL

So yeah, County Counting....  Right now I have 574 known counties on my map, I've found a few here and there that somehow I miss clicked and didn't add (or as I've checked maps from past trips and found some) but I'm hoping to hit 600 by years end and well, with at least one new state in this summers plans... I hope to reach my pointless self-set goal! Yaayyy!





No comments:

Post a Comment