Friday, October 25, 2013

The James show. PT.6

 The Rob and James show. PT.6!
Er, I guess its just The James show now! 

 This update is gonna be pretty straightforward. After my initial plans were set for my summer trip... I decided I did wanna add a side-trip to St. Louis, Missouri because it was in the area. Too bad from Oklahoma City I couldn't fly direct and had to layover in Atlanta... After an assumed and present delay at both OKC, due to fire alarms going off.... and in ATL because, well, its Atlanta.... I made it to St. Louis, picked up my new rental and headed downtown to the Gateway Arch.  I'd passed the Arch back in 2005 as part of a whirlwind Midwest trip but this would be my first time really getting to see it, as well as go to the top! After being annoyed at how to find the parking lot and driving around the block a few times... I made it to the Arch.
 Woo, the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial 
Home to the Gateway Arch, Old Courthouse, and the Museum of Westward Expansion.
 The 630 foot Arch and the flags of..uh.. 
St. Louis... Missouri.. and America?
 It's pretty massive, and also just kinda pretty.
The lame amusement park fan in me tried to imagine it as a 600 foot SkyCoaster... Lame, I know.
Yup, the Gateway Arch.
 Once inside the base of the Arch you can buy tickets to visit the observation deck at the top as well as access to the 
Museum of Westward Expansion.
 This.... is a model of the terrible car that brings you to the top. Each one sits five people and they make sure to fully load them. On the ride up, I was awkwardly placed with a mom, dad, and two very small girls.... so it was pretty uncomfortable for me (I'm pretty sure the dad wasn't to thrilled I got placed with his family either but neither of us had a choice...)
 Coming back down I was placed with two sets of couples so it wasn't as bad.... although one was freaking out about A. being inside the little car.. B. the height of the Arch.
 At 630 feet its the tallest building uh, thing, in the state of Missouri
 Looking to the west, you can see all of St. Louis
 As well as the Old Courthouse, part of the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial
 Looking east isn't as impressive.
 You can see the Mississippi River, as well as the Illinois countryside.
(and in the late afternoon, the shadow of the Arch?) 
 They try and cram as many people as they can up in the observation area.. Its not too hard to get a window spot but that doesn't mean awful children wont push you aide to look. Also, you can feel the whole thing kinda... sway.
 Back down in the basement is the Museum of Westward Expansion. Its not very big but its nice for what it is. Mostly photos/paintings/diagrams of what it was like at the time of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.
 Uh, map of the Louisiana Purchase and a line showing the route of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.
yaayyy history!
apparently there were Grizzly Bears along the way
 And Texas Longhorns!
(Mooooooo)
Also on the grounds are a few reflection ponds, a fountain, great lawn, and access down to the Mississippi River itself.
 One of the ponds on the parks grounds... Seems like a good place to find a duck or two.
Yup, quack.

After hanging around and just kinda... taking it all in, I headed off to my hotel. Someplace midway between the city of St. Louis and Six Flags (Eureka) but closer to the St. Louis side. I was shocked and horrified to find my hotel was straight up in the hood. Ready to cry, I went over to the Pizza Hut next door, was informed they were running behind and that it would be nearly an hour for food... placed my order and walked across the street to a gas station for for some SoBe Lifewater's and a candy bar to hold off my hunger. I ended up spending the night at the hotel er motel...er craphole (hellhole?), anyways... (hoping my rental would still be there in the morning!) and while I had originally booked this as a double stay I quickly checked OUT in the morning and booked myself into a classy hotel for the next night. I didn't even care about the money at that point.

Also, I had planned to go to the St. Louis City Museum (home to an Eli Wheel!) but because of delays in my flights I only had enough time for the Gateway Arch and that was more important to me anyways. I'm sure if I had rushed at both places I could have managed... but I enjoyed just sitting out by the Arch and along side the stinky river, just relaxing...... And because I never made it out to Grant's Farm... I can always just do both  
next time.

Bonus photos via twitter -
https://twitter.com/CanobieFan/status/363047329613373440
https://twitter.com/CanobieFan/status/363072891060899840

Bonus random tweets -
https://twitter.com/CanobieFan/status/362941165512822784
https://twitter.com/CanobieFan/status/363004685479059456
https://twitter.com/CanobieFan/status/363085056077611008

Woo, part six was a small update... Part seven will be longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment