Sunday, October 26, 2014

København.

København.

Originally Joey and I had talked about making a trip out to Bon-Bon Land but due to financial questions, we opted on a day hanging around the city just kinda sightseeing. While that meant no coasters, it was still a good choice and I don't regret not going to the park as it was nice just walking around the city with nowhere to go but with the intentions of finding a mermaid out there somewhere.
(it was also kinda neat going back later and finding out what everything was we saw in passing, since we had no real plan outside of walking to Kongens Have, the Kastellet, and Den Lille Havfrue... we ending up passing so many landmarks within the city without even meaning to. <3)
 Everyone rides bikes here, everyone.
 Oh hey, this place again!
although we weren't going in, just kinda checking on Odinexpressen.
Town Hall....and stuff
Random Foosball table just kinda out on the sidewalk?
Mounted to the ground.
♡ This...is amazing. 
Exploring... and stuff.
Also, that place on the left is called FISH KISS. gross.
 Oh man! A Lego store in the Land-of-Lego!
 Lego Dragon! <3
 Oh man, and they had this awesome Scrambler ride kit! Its only like 200$ but I still couldn't afford it.
 Uh, we can skip this one....
Random fountain in a square we came upon.
Called the Stork Fountain.... located in Amagertorv
(Amager Square)
Memorial Tablet in King's Gate at Christiansborg Castle.
Creepy sculpture of people standing under water. I didn't like it.
Its hard to make out in photos... but it was a sculpture of a group of people just standing under water in a canal.
Uh, me and my giant French Baguette!
(oh-hoh-hoh-hoh)
Kongens Have, Rosenborg Castle Gardens.
The oldest park/garden in the city, opened in 1606
Pretty much the Copenhagen equivalent to Central Park or Boston Gardens.
One of the few fountains within the park.
Rosenborg Slot, Rosenborg Castle
Quack... quack.
Royal Ducks?
Rose in the rose garden.
Gardens and stuff. Yup
More roses, pretty pretty.
Dowager Queen Caroline Amalie of Augustenburg
Lavender?
Rosenborg Castle, again.
Dannebrog, the flag of Denmark
(and the first to feature the Nordic Cross)
Walking along the Smedelinien we found the monument to the Silesian Wars.
Tree lined dirt path along The Citadel
Kastellet Citadellet Frederikshavn
A view of the fortress grounds.
One time, One place, One human
 The monument of Danish soldiers fallen in international service.
Kastellet Ducks!
Hey look! A mermaid!
But... not the one I was looking for.
Oh man and we found this polar bear statue at the Langelinie!
(Officially titled Isbjørn med Unger)
There are bullet holes in the head from a German soldier during the Occupation of Denmark.
I wonder what everyone's looking at over there?
Finally, Den Lille Havfrue... a very popular statue
The Little Mermaid herself.
Well, uh, with my culture credit marked off there wasn't anything left to do but walk around some more and see what else we could discover.
Statue of Marie, Princess of Denmark.
Random Battleship in the Øresund.
Amalienborg, the winter home of the Danish royal family.
Yup, you can pretty much walk right up to the palace.
Bredgade Dragon?
The Nyhavn (New Harbor), a 17th-century waterfront that should be as lovely as it looks.
Sadly, its overrun with overpriced restaurants, terrible tourists, and super commercialized.
Not that its a bad thing.. its just not what I was looking for
After an absolutely disgusting visit to McDonald's (NOT my choice! ha) we ended up back at Lagkagehuset again <3
Mmmm......fancy hot cocoa.
After hanging around the cafe and using its free WiFi for a while it was time to say our goodbyes. Dillon, Joey, and Kyle were flying back to England that afternoon and I myself the next morning. So from here on out I was on my own with no real plan other than not to miss my flight the next day.
Even while being tempted with a Polar Bear, I just couldn't bring myself to visit the Copenhagen Zoo due to all the bad press it had received earlier this year.
Tivoli Gardens!!!!
But again, just in passing. Since Odinexpressen was still closed I kept walking.
Dæmonen again, as seen from outside the park on Tietgensgade.
Copenhagen Central Station as seen in passing from above.
All these trains over the last few days made me wanna play Locomotion in the worst way.
Although I did stop in to grab myself a train map :D
(and check on times and stuff)
Back outside I saw this massive rock climbing wall on the side of a gym
And the neatest looking 7/11 ever!
Duel stacked bike rack!
Most of them aren't even locked. All across the city we saw bikes just left unattended and not chained-up.
Once back at Københavns Hovedbanegård I got my train out to Kastrup and planned to visit the National Aquarium Denmark (Den Blå Planet) but it would have been almost closing by the time I got there so I ended up just walking around the town.
While walking around Kastrup I found this kitty who walked with me for a block or so. :D
And I also found this big field and just took the time to enjoy thoughts.
I don't know. I guess just realizing I was in Denmark, on my own, with nothing to do until 8am, when I'd be flying all the way back to the US via England and Iceland.
(Also, I needed a rest after lugging my 30LBS backpack around as we walked miles and miles across the city)
Yup, the sky.
Mmhm... Mmhm... if I kept going to the Øresund Bridge... I'd have ended up in Malmö, Sweden!
I also took a ride on the Copenhagen Metro, a fully automated light metro system.
 Also, your dog... needs a ticket to ride.
But like what I've seen in other European cities, the trains run on a sort of honor system where even riders can get away with a free ride here and there. (not that I would suggest such a thing)
Yaayyy, trains!
 Random news paper on the Metro floor had an ad for Bakken
:D
Ah, and back at Copenhagen Airport, Kastrup.
Now to just try and take a short nap before starting my pretty-epic trip home, but not even really home.
Copenhagen as a city, not even for its amusement parks... is a really nice place. I kinda knew I would like it but I was still surprised how nice it was. Hopefully someday I'll get to come back and see a little more of the country (and like, visit Bon-Bon Land and Djurs Sommerland, maybe Legoland too but that also means caving-in and renting a car)

Bonus stuff via Twitter - 
Off on an Adventure for sure. - Tweet
Awful fast food (and prices) - Tweet
Being bad and almost going to Sweden - Tweet
Rosenborg Castle Gardens - Photo
Den lille havfrue - Photo

Woo

No comments:

Post a Comment