Sunday, January 25, 2015

New Year's in Atlanta (PT.1)

So.... back in 2013 when Six Flags made their 2014 park addition announcements, one of them was expanding their "Holiday in the Park" offerings to more parks than ever before and as it turned out, Six Flags Over Georgia would be one of those new parks running the event. Being my local (haha) Six Flags and all, I was interested and visiting it. Well, uh, with 2014 coming to an end and time running out to visit the park that somehow I never manged to visit during the summer season  (:( ) I planned to visit right after New Year's for the last weekend of the parks season and hang out in Atlanta for a few days with Deka. New Year's Eve comes around and I watch epic Epcot fireworks with Rachel, a girl I went to Middle School / High School with who happened to be in town... Went home, took a nap, got up some 7 hours later.... and started the 6.5 hour drive to Atlanta. yay!

(and on the way made 2 different detours to pick up some random counties.)
((Union County, Florida and Echols County, Georgia))
(((because, it matters)))

Once getting to Atlanta, I had a few hours to kill before Deka got off work so I walked around Centennial Olympic Park (because its nice)
Since my last visit downtown, Atlanta has gained its very own Observation Wheel
(that had been located in the Florida Panhandle for a few years before being moved to ATL)
I'd actually seen it from my plane landing in Georgia last summer but this was my first time getting up close to it. I took a few photos but didn't ride it (yet)
Centennial Olympic Park and stuff.
They had a little ice skating rink setup in the park.
With a hand-pushed Zamboni
People skating... and stuff.
Hey look! The Georgia Aquarium.
I kinda wanted to go... but having already visited twice and with only an hour or so to enjoy it... I opted out.
Same for the festively decorated World of Coca-Cola next door.
Oh man!
I ended up buying the for-sale version of this ornament for my tree! :3
(The gift shop is open to the public, even if you don't visit the museum.)
But first, let me take a selfie
OOOH MAN!
So.many.polar.bear.things.
I made it out (somehow) only buying two things. <3
World of Coca-Cola... and such.
Coke's red and white lights with the Bank of America Plaza in the background.
(tallest building in Georgia and 10th tallest in the US!)
Centennial Olympic Park lovely tree...
with the CNN Center in back.
SkyView at night... being a Ferris Wheel.
Not sure if the red and white look was a tie-in with Coke... or for the holidays or something...
(I guess the rest of the year it changes colors)
Oh hey, and look... The brand new Atlanta Streetcar!

After leaving downtown I decided to make an unscheduled stop at Six Flags Over Georgia.
I had planned on going to the park the next day anyways but figured I had some free time tonight and might as well take my photos so I could enjoy the park tomorrow.
(also, with high chances of rain... I wanted to play it safe)
HOLIDAY IN THE PARK!!!!
Yaayyy!!!
The opened areas of the park had been renamed Holi-related things for the event. The main entrance became A Main Street Christmas and it looked pretty cool
(and even had fake snow-makers.... although not on par with say.. Disney Parks)
The Main Street Christmas Tree
I guess they did a nightly tree lighting here but I had missed it.
Uh, I think this area was called Merry Mistletoe
Bahaha.... $15? Are you kidding me? I'm pretty sure this is *free* at SeaWorld!
Retro Christmas USA (USA) was rather neat and the most lively area of the park during my visit.
Lots of red, white, and blues and sorta "classic" looking decorations.
The fake snow carpet was actually pretty convincing!
(well, at least during my night visit)
Neat Disco-Ball-ish tree made out of suspended ornaments hung from the ceiling.
Ah, Dare Devil Dive. What in turn became my first roller coaster of 2015!
As I was riding it, the rain came in and it started misting... But it didn't seem to stop people from having a good time in the park.
(originally I had planned for Georgia Scorcher to be my first coaster of the year... but after getting in the train, having the restraints locked and checked.... the staff suddenly had us get off and file back into the station queue. After they cycled the ride empty a few times.... I just walked away. ZzZzz)

(Oh, and they used the lift hill to make a giant Christmas Tree!)
Monster Mansion had been running for the event and was even nicely, simply decorated on the outside. I didn't get the chance to ride it because it was down when I walked by (although it was staffed and the audio was on... so I assumed it had been running earlier in the day) 
The area leading up to the North Pole themed area.
I thought this area was hideous and just.... all around ugly. Just massive super-white tree.. posts.
Other people seemed to like it but it was just ugly to me.
Candlelight Carousel.
The best looking area in the park as far as the decorations go. I was completely blown away that Six Flags had managed to make this area look beautiful. If they could get the rest of the park this way, this event would be awesome.
The Riverview Carousel was probably the busiest ride in the park... but that may be because of the light rain that had picked up and the fact it was lined with heating lamps!
Pretty pretty.
Hey look! Uh, that guy.
While not originally part of the Holiday in the Park lineup, due to the popularity of the event both the bumper cars and Superman - Ultimate Flight were opened each night. I walked all the way to the far end of the park take it for a spin but the line was down the stairs and with a single train running.... I just didn't care enough to wait.
(I mean, its not a very good ride... but I would have ridden it just because.)
Due to the fact both rides in the back were added after the event had started there was zero decorations and all the shops and games in the area had already been winterized for the year.
(So it was kinda.. blah... but at the same time, I think its great the park decided to offer more attractions!)

With the rain starting to pick up I was about to just call it quits and leave
Taking a few more photos along my way to the exit.
Peachtree Square (renamed A Georgia Christmas) looked nice, but it was a little too orange for me.
Yeah.... a little green and maybe white could have helped in here....
CRYSTAL PISTOL CRYSTAL PISTOL!!!!
They had some sort of show in here but I didn't venture in...
(ew, shows)
Massive ORANGE tree! It's so bright and orange its almost like it should be part of Halloween / Fright Fest... not a Christmas Event. haha.
As I was making my way to the exit, I saw Dahlonega Mine Train's queue was still open. I ended up getting on what turned out to be the last train of the night. And since I'd only ridden it maybe 4 times ever anyways... I might as well have.
(its just hard for me to waste time with it in the summer when I could be on Mind Bender, Goliath, or Acrophobia!)
(Acrophobia had been scheduled to be running during the event and Deka told me it had been running pretty consistently. Sadly, it sat idle during my entire visit :'( )
This crazy Pink-Purple-Red light tunnel, it was probably the coolest of the light tunnels leading down into S'mores Village from the Rejoice! area of the park.
I'd have rejoiced if Acro had magically opened... :(
One of the little fire pits to roast s'mores (and also warm up!)
Super bright, in your face, orange trees!
The 'Candy-Cane' tree was my favorite, located in Peppermint Plaza.
Although the park could have / should have wrapped a few more trees like this.
And... one last photo from the entrance of the park.

In all, the park areas looked much, much better than I thought and if the park continues the event for 2015 and adds more to it, it could be something really worth while. While it may not ever reach the scale of say.... Dollywood's event. It's still gonna have the opportunity to hold its own.
After leaving an increasingly rainy Six Flags, I made my way to Deka's place where we went out for some yummy Mexican Food in the hood (well, not really hood, but still Collipark) and we also played with some Wal-Mart fireworks in the parking lot of her complex (still raining!)
Yaayyy!

Random stuff via Twitter!
SkyView Atlanta - Photo
Me +  polar bear ornament - Photo
Dare Devil Dive - Photo
Fireworks - Photo
More Fireworks - Video (via vine)

Woo

No comments:

Post a Comment