Thursday, January 29, 2015

New Year's in Atlanta (PT.3)

Sweet, day three! Well, after moving around all my plans to work with the stupid weather I made it back to Six Flags (woo) and Deka was gonna be joining me for a few hours before she needed to go off to work. Originally this would have been our day at the wheel and then I would have gone to the zoo on my own... but because of rain, rain, rain, things got moved around.
yay
SIX FLAGS! SIX FLAGS!!!!
We pulled into the parking about 10 minutes before opening. As you can tell it was packed
Half the cars in the lot were ours.......
Having never really walked around the backside of the lot, we looked around at Batman.
It wasn't open for Holiday in the Park, but I still took a few photos of it.
We both also had no idea there was a picnic area at the far back of the lot!
Who knew?
Making our way back to the parks entrance we saw Goliath testing <3
And had to walk past an also non-operating Mind Bender :(
(Hopefully the park decides to run it in 2015 if they do Holiday in the Park again) 
But yaayyy! Holiday in the Park (around 2)
Over Georgia is now the only outdoor park not in Florida I've visited in January :D
Lines were absolutely out of control.
I hadn't ridden Georgia Cyclone since 2010 or 2011 because it hadn't been good since my 2004 rides but the ride had received a lot of track work in 2013....
Yeah, we had the train to ourselves....
And it was oddly fun. I mean, it was sllooowwww.... but 100% rideable, not rough at all? I guess all the work paid off and now I kinda wanna try it in the summer with a full train and see if its good again.
Georgia Scorcher decided it was gonna run today and I finally got my ride on it. Again, look at the lines!
 
Scorcher is probably my favorite of the Stand-Up's but most of the time I just get annoyed with the loading processes and skip it altogether.
Peppermint Plaza photo spot.
Merry Mistletoe garden tunnel, now in the daylight!
Guess the "no smoking" policy doesn't apply to snowmen....
Retro Christmas USA... the snow was less convincing in the daytime but the area still looked nice.
Dare Devil Dive, again
Oh man, claw machine filled with rubber ducks!
Horribly long lines in Goliath's station.
We ended up riding it three times in the back row and once in the front
No having to walk around, and once we even stayed in the same seats!
(not a coaster)
but new rides coming soon!
Unannounced for the lineup for Holiday in the Park....
Crime Wave was open for some reason... The walk down the (wet) steep hill into Gotham was awful and I would love to see what happens if it got colder.....
but it was nice to ride the Wave Swinger
(mmmhmmmm) 
I guess whatever happened to Monster Mansion 2 days earlier was pretty bad since the ride now had a sign in front saying it would be closed. There were no staff around and the audio was off as well.
(although part of me thinks they just gave up and had closed it for the season since the whole park would be done the very next day....)
Peaches.... but some of them kinda just look like butts.....
Ugly peach...tree... I mean, I get it and all... but still.
Its pretty ugly.
Oh hey, Dahlonega Mine Train, again.....
We took it for the courtesy ride...
Its still the second least ridden coaster in the park for me
(Canyon Blaster is my least)
Acrophobia was still closed.
I was pretty devastated.
(and I'm pretty sure the park had just given up on it as well for the year)
But Sky Buckets were randomly open!
I'd only ridden them here maybe 4 times... They seem to always be closed when I visit.
And... off we went.
Although it was running in a round-trip only fashion... it was kinda odd since the unused station was completely unthemed, as was the area surrounding the station. I mean, would it have killed them to put a few little trees and a wreath down here for consistency?
After our ride on the Sky Buckets Deka had to leave and head to work, it also started raining so I was about to call it a day myself and start my drive back to Orlando but I wanted to get a few last photos in first....
Nice little props around the park.
(See, why couldn't they just put this by the Sky Buckets?)
The bridge up to Candlelight Carousel was covered in this tree-branch tunnel complete with a few bird nests and fake birds. It looked really nice at night (none of my photos showed it well) but the clearance wasn't so good for me. Even walking down the center of the bridge I still hit my head on low hanging twigs. haha
And again, since the event had been more popular than expected (I guess on nice days) the park ended up opening the far back area of the park including Bumper Cars and Superman for Holiday in the Park.... Since this change happened after the event started, both rides were unlisted from the maps and guides and because of the last minute changes, the area was completely unthemed and almost abandoned looking 
But those who made the hike had the opportunity to ride Superman - Ultimate Flight
Ah, and the line today was much more manageable!
(in fact, I think my train only had like 6 people on it!)
While not really a good ride... its still fun when its a walk on... Although for some reason the station smelled terrible... like, as if someone had taken a dump in it somewhere and it never got cleaned up.
It was pretty gross....
During my Superman ride the rain picked up from a mistiness to just...rain-rain and I headed to the exit to drive home.
:( No Ninja for me.... :(
Santa Maria was running... but I didn't have anyone to ride it with me....
Wile E. Coyote Canyon Blaster was closed. I'm not sure if it was because of the rain (due to its lifts) or if it was closed the whole event... But it looked like crap. I don't think its been painted since being built in 2004. I've only ridden it once and while I visited the park three times its opening year it took until 2009 to get my ride. (during my stop at the park while moving to Florida!)
Random kinda fun decorations and stuff...
And a random photos of Cyclone... now with a semi-full train as I made my way to the exit.
Oh hey, its that guy... and stuff.
And right before driving back to Orlando I stopped to take a few photos of Goliath from the road.
Pretty pretty.
As I was leaving the park made an announcement stating that due to an approaching storm the park would be closing at 3pm. While I get that its mostly locals who were showing up to this event... its kinda shady that you would just close the entire park because of rain. I mean, I've been here +20 times and had a season pass so it wouldn't have been a big deal.. but if I had driven far and paid to get in I'd be kinda mad. (some days due to bad weather forecasts the park just didn't open at all!) But that being said... like I said in part 1, I think the event has a lot of potential and I hope the park keeps up with it and I'd gladly visit again this winter!

Uh... Bonus stuff via Twitter?

In Goliath's station with just 2 other people - Photo
Panorama of Goliath from the front entrance - Photo
Video of Georgia Scorcher via Vine - Video

(And now to go pack for my second adventure of the year.... )
((Hilton Head, South Carolina!))

No comments:

Post a Comment