Saturday, August 8, 2015

(Day 8) 2,486 miles later....What's a Hogle?

Ah.... All good things must come to an end.

Waking up, packing my bag, grabbing some complimentary power bars, and setting off for my final day of adventuring. I still had no real plan.. I wanted to go to Park City... but didn't wanna spend much money. Once fully awake, I made my decision. I would head over to Snowbird instead. It was just a few miles from my hotel and way less expensive than Park City.. and also home to a Mountain Coaster. Although passing on Park City meant missing out on an extra county credit, good thing I found a way to make up for that later in the day... ha 

Well, uh, since I was up anyways.. I might as well get in my car and start going places. yay
So... I hit the road to Snowbird!
Uh.... I sure hope there isn't an avalanche...
Woo, Snowbird!
I ended up getting to the resort about 2 hours before the activities opened, so I took some time to just walk around the resort and take a hike on one of the shorter nature trails along the mountain side.
Neat retro Snowbird Resort vehicle.
Little Cottonwood Creek passes right through the resort.
Not really sure what this little guy was, the best I could find says Uinta Ground Squirrel... whatever it was, I saw a bunch and they were pretty adorable.
<3 Slip-N-Fall-Yeti!
Little Cottonwood Canyon Fire Station #13
Uh...  noted.
Walking along Chauner's Loop trail.
I guess it was a mountain biking trail.. but since it was like 9 am, there wasn't anyone using it.
Also noted.
Snow...flake?
Oh man! And a moose!
I was just walking on one of the trails and came upon her
Yup... me and a moose.
Pretty awesome.
Skis for sale
(ew) 
 As soon as tickets went on sale for the Adventure Park stuff, I got my day pass and made my way over to the Mountain Coaster.
Where I became the first person in line for it, ha
Woo, my seventh Alpine/Mountain Coaster attraction.
I still don't count them myself, but I'll ride the ones I come across.
Mountain Coaster.....stuff
The first part of the track after the lift is in an open field, before heading into a forested area.
I took this photo walking around before it opened. You could pretty much walk right up to the thing, ha.
The entire second half of the ride, as well as the station and start of the lift.
The entire ride comes in at 3,120 feet.
(outside of this photo there is a second lift that brings you to the top of the ride)
Woo, all the cars lined up and ready for riders... :D
(I was rider #1)
((and #5 and #11))
The forested run on the ride was rather good, with the trees being super close to the track.
The ride ends with a couple of helices that lead to the unload platform. After my second ride, it was discovered that there was a moose (wonder if it was the same one I saw?) in the ride area... So the coaster was closed for 10-15 minutes while the staff tried to get it to move away from the ride. They didn't wanna cycle cars in case the moose came into contact with the track.. or cars... or even the cable used for the lift. Once they did reopen the coaster, I got my third ride... where I saw the moose was still indeed in the ride area, in fact, it was maybe 20 feet to the right of the second lift's start. I notified the employee stationed at the top that the moose was in fact still in the area... And the ride was again closed (after I finished my run, ha)
After my 3 coaster rides, I made my way over to the 1,300 foot long Alpine Slide that was just opening for the day.
The area around the slide was lined with flowers an even had a little tunnel.
While not overly interesting layout-wise, it sure felt like one of the/if not the, fastest Alpine Slide I've done. I quickly made my way back to the top for a second ride.
This smaller sized Ropes Course was included with my pass, but I skipped it
(Along with a set of Euro-Bungee's and a Rock Wall)
Although I did make the 50 foot climb up to the Vertical Drop.
I've only ever seen one other one like it and didn't wanna pay $25 for it...
But since this one was included.. I made the jump
(twice)
After stepping off the platform, you drop some 10 feet before the auto-belay tension slows you the renaming 30 feet or so to the pad.
(I graceful fell on my ass on landing the first go around)
Woo, the Vertical Drop.
I would have done it a couple more times.. but I was feeling lazy and didn't wanna climb all the stairs again
(and again and again)
Mountain Flyer, the resorts 1,000 foot long duel wired S&S/Soaring Eagle Zip Line.
Due to odd signage at the loading station.. I assumed I was unable to ride because of odd weight based loading requirements....
But it turned out I could indeed ride, I just needed an employee to go with me?
So they stuck me with this poor girl who was terrified of the ride... ha.
The 2,400 foot tall Peruvian Chair lift was also part of the day pass.. But because of leftover snow at the summit, wasn't running for guests today
I was kinda amused the Ski Lift was closed...
because of skiing conditions.
(they still needed to summer-ize the load and unload areas, it was due to open a week after my visit)
Thankfully, the nearly 3,000 foot long Aerial Tram was running.
So I made my way over to the entrance and hopped on.
Heading up....
Before passing over a valley, the main complex of the resort fades away
Heading up, high above Little Cottonwood Canyon and the Snowbird Resort.
Passing the red car from the blue car going up.
Ah... Hidden Peak summit... 11,000 feet high.
Coming this December, "The Summit" will be opening at Snowbird.
Once completed it will feature food, shops, seating areas, an observation deck, and even a private function hall.
The view from the top was incredible.
Also, the amount of snow kinda surprised me. While at the base it was nearly 100*'s out... the summit was in the low 70's
(When I first arrived, the sign at the base started the summit was nearly 40!)
Woo, look at me! I'm 2 miles above sea-level!
Some of the skiing trails still had enough snow left on them to actually ski on!
(I even saw a man trying to get one last run in)
Snow... in late June, who knew.
Hikers on one of the trails
This blue... bird.
The two tram cars passing over the ridge.
I spent about an hour just walking around the summit area, I had yet to be effected by elevations on this trip so didn't think anything of it at Hidden Peak. Walking around and a little down the trails was fine.. But damn, the trek back up to the tram area... I would take maybe 10 steps.. and have to rest... and 10 more steps.. and another rest. I felt so out of shape, haha.
And since I rode the blue car up, I waited for the red car for my return trip.
The awesome view going over the valley between two of the cable-way towers.
Also... so much snow!
There goes the blue car!
Woo
Coming back into the resort, looking over toward the city of Salt Lake about 25 miles away.
And one last shot of the Mountain Coaster from the tramway.
After leaving Snowbird, I made my way back to the city.
Mmm, 7/11 snack time stop!
Got me some Arizona Tea and a Banana Fanta Slurpee <3
I did end up going to the Hogle Zoo, the night before I had read some disheartening reviews and it kinda turned me off from wanting to visit it....
But with some free time left, I went to check it out anyways.
Since I didn't really plan on going, I didn't really look into the animals list or anything but in the end, I'm glad I did visit and found the zoo to be rather nice, just a bit on the smaller side.
!!! Polar Bear?!
(Oh man!)
A pretty big expansion area was under construction during my visit. It looks like a playground/ropes course/animal enclosure combo attraction.
Once glancing over the Zoo's map.. I made a quick walk to the western most end of the Zoo to the area labeled Rocky Shores.... because.. well..
Oooooh man!  Grizzly Bear!!!
:D :3 <3
Annddd Polar Bear!!!!!!
Yeeesssssss!!!!
Well, since it was nearly 100*s out... both bears kept having swim time <3
(the polar bear area even had under water viewing)
Nap time swim time?
(awwwwww)
It was also nap time for the Amur Leopard.
The American Kestrel was being very pretty.
Mr. Giraffe was saying it was way too hot....
 Hartmann's Mountain Zebra, not sure what makes them different from other kinds of Zebra.
! Yeeessssss !
The Rock Hyrax!
One of the Zoo's two Bald Eagle's
Both were brought to the zoo with injuries that will keep them from retuning to the wild.
(Although they produced off-spring that were able to be released into the wild)
 Siamese Crocodile
Honk honk honk.
(I was amused how the Canadian Geese were located in the 'Exotic Birds' display)
The grounds at the zoo were also well taken care of and featured gardens, a spray ground, play area, and a few rides as well.
Flowers... and stuff.
Jumping fountains in the spray-ground
Random Lion water fountain. I'm not sure what the deal with it is... but it was insanely popular within the zoo, even featured on merchandise within the gift shop
(magnets, postcards....)
:D the 'Endangered Animals' Carousel had a Polar Bear
There was also a Chance train called that Zoofari Express that quickly circled the African Savanna area of the Zoo.
And not wanting to feel left out of the Dino-Trend....
The Zoo had an event taking place called Zoorassic Park 2.
Rather than being all in one area, the Dinosaurs were placed all around the zoo, along side the actual animal enclosures.
Stegosaurus
Dilophosaurus?
Carnotaurus!
(Uh, not our dino)
Tyrannosaurus Rex
Yup.
Man... if I had room in my bag, I would have gotten this dood!
Also, I was amused by this 'Polar Bear Train' toy... that for some reason featured Penguins for cars as well.
(I was tempted to buy it....)
After leaving the zoo, I had just over an hour to waste before needing to return my rental, after 8 super awesome days of adventuring... I took the chance to do some quick sightseeing within the Salt Lake City itself.
I ended up driving right past the 2002 Winter Olympics site and its cauldron.
Rice-Eccles Stadium was where both the Opening and Closing Ceremonies took place.
Heading deeper into the city, I drove onward to Capitol Hill.
Woo woo, the State of Utah!
(State House Credit!)
Industry, the states motto.
Oh, and yeah, that guy.. and stuff.
Across the street is Salt Lake City Council Hall.
After hanging around the Capitol for a bit, I made my way back to the airport... with one last stop along the way.
Heading down this dirt/gravel road... one of the worst I've ever come across in all my travels....
Passing the Great Salt Lake and the Salt Flats again...
Ending up at Black Rock
(Just to get my Tooele County credit!)
Once one of the bigger beach areas along the Great Salt Lake, now just a pile of ruins and Graffiti
But still rather beautiful and remote, for a place being right along side a major highway. I was the only one out here and failed to see any other cars or people driving to and from Black Rock from the highway itself.
One last view of the Great Salt Lake before I head back to the airport.
RIP to the 1,000,000 dead bugs that had smashed into my car over the week.
So there you have it.... nearly 2,500 miles driven around in a giant circle across 6 states and 48 counties
(updated county map here!)
Well, with a couple of hours to kill at the airport, I got me some Jamba Juice
And walked the entire length of the SLC, each and every concourse.
Look at all those Delta planes. It was neat seeing where some of the more regional flights were going.
(it was also amusing seeing flights to pretty much every major stop I made... Denver, Albuquerque, Idaho Falls, Jackson Hole) 
Ah... and sunset....
The flight home was rather uneventful although I'm pretty bad at sleeping on planes and the time change going east sucks. The flight is just under 4.5 hours and 3 timezone changes.
Ah... and back in Orlando at 5 am... Riding the tram back to the main terminal, having been up nearly 24 hours at this point...
Um, *adventure*

One last time.... The bonus Twitter stuffs!
 MOOSE! - Photo
 Snowbird Summit - Photo
Riding the Mountain Coaster (via Vine) - Video
 Polar Bear!! - Photo
Utah State House - Photo
DL951, My ride home - Photo

So yeah, not what most people would take on as a vacation... but I wouldn't have it any other way.
I got the amazing chance to see some parts of the county I wouldn't have seen otherwise. I got to check off a few items from my bucket list... I got to visit a few of the more 'out of the way' US parks and ride some really fun coasters along the way.
:D
In the end I added some 47 new counties, 4 new states, 3 new zoos, 1 new Aquarium, 9 new parks, and 24 new coasters!
(also.... ducks and bears and random other small things)

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment