Saturday, May 12, 2018

Driftwood Beach, Jekyll Island

...Because...
who wouldn't want a beach day while driving the 6 hours between Charleston, South Carolina and Orlando, Florida?
Jekyll Island, Georgia is pretty much the half way point between the two and only some 30 miles north of the Florida state line. I'd driven past the area a few times and always had it on my 'to do' list... and since I was now having a free day and with no amusement parks to till my void I looked up things to do and came across something called Driftwood Beach... and it seemed like the perfect rest stop to make along my drive. I could have used a nice 'relax day' on the final day of what was a 14 day / nearly 4,000 mile trip (some 60 hours of driving!) from Orlando to Boston and back... with several out of the way stops along the route! haha. Annddd since I'm also a fan of finding some semi-off-the-beaten-path places... it seemed perfect.
Woo.
After crossing over onto Jekyll Island and driving to the northern tip of the island.. I found what I hoped was the right place.. parked my car.. and headed down a trail into the woods.
leading to the beach...
Woo, Driftwood Beach!
The best way to describe the place would be...
a tree graveyard.
Over time the beach eroded away and the trees along the shore died, fell over, and became sun bleached and such.
Leaving the area covered in massive parts of trees in all sizes and shapes and levels of decay,
It was hauntingly beautiful.
yup
Hey look, I'm... enjoying.
After taking a whole bunch of photos, I had a nice couple of hours at the beach... that I had pretty much to myself! And enjoyed a swim and other beach type activities before deciding it was time to head out and finally head home.
And back down the trail I head to my car to complete the drive to Orlando... with a stop in JAX for some foods, good foods. <3

Woo, adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment