Tuesday, May 1, 2018

At least I felt the sting?

I don't know. I'd been lazy and kinda sitting on this post for like.. 2 years.... But in light of new photos showing the destructive removal of Stinger at Dorney Park... I felt the need to go on a slight ramble.
So Dorney Park announced it was gonna be removing its Stinger coaster and then went ahead and blow-torched the ride to death...
Yup.
So uh, Stinger
One of the four Vekoma built Invertigo coasters.
(I've tracked down 3 of them :D )
The ride opened at Dorney in 2012.. But was often closed and spent almost all of 2014 SBNO
(it almost spent a full year closed while in California)
((It had run at Great America from 1998 to 2010))
Five years after it was built, the ride was removed the park.. And cut into pieces...
So.... that makes Stinger the first Invertigo to be scrapped.
(and possibly the first boomerang of any type to be scrapped as well)
In 2016 I made the trek to go get the coaster. It had been some 7 years since my last visit... and as I knew the ride would be open.. I left Great Adventure early and made the 2 hour drive to the park.
I bought an 'After 4' ticket for the park online and got to the park some 20 minutes before the ticket was valid...and proceeded to stress myself out the entire time... It had been off and on raining at Great Adventure but Six Flags is pretty good about running rides in the rain. Cedar Fair parks.... not so much. So as I wait to enter the park.. I watch the storm clouds rolling in..... As soon as 4 hits... I head to the entrance where I'm warned there is no rain check and that thunder storms were moving into the area... So I ran down to the coaster, a walk on, thankfully and got my credit ride. As soon as I exited the ride, I went for a second lap as there was no line. By the time I made it off... The entire park closed for rain.
So...with my "$34" (more like $45 ticket after the *convenience fees*) and some $18 for parking...Making my 2 ride...1 credit, less than an hour visit to Dorney Park total
$63.......
Uh... but at least I got 2 rides on it?
(+1, #840-something)
Oh, Stinger.
#RIP
...In the long run.. it was probably for the better, since after leaving the park I still had a +5 hour drive to my parents house in Massachusetts and now that I was leaving way earlier than expected, I'd be getting there around 10, rather than the midnight arrival I had planned. 

(Also, the Cedar Fair rain policy is the stupidest park policy I've ever come across... and its screwed me over on at least 2 other park visits... One leading to a nearly SEVEN HOUR wait for Maverick at Cedar Point because of off-and-on rain)

No comments:

Post a Comment