Thursday, March 27, 2014

Great Escape Lodge and White Water Bay!

Filling in with some backlogged photos from last year......
This time around its from my first time staying at the Six Flags Great Escape Lodge and White Water Bay indoor water park in Queensbury, New York (Lake George)

Great Escape used to be a yearly pilgrimage for me up until 2009 when I moved to Orlando and I'd been itching to get back ever since... Even getting almost annoyed when the rest of my family had gone back in the years since.... So my dad and I came up with a plan that would allow me to visit the park again, have family time, spend the day at the water park and surprise my mom all at the same time. I got my dad to book the hotel for a weekend trip at the end of September knowing my mom would sort-of boast to me about how they/she was gonna be going to the park and staying at the hotel and that I was gonna be "stuck" in Orlando and such having no idea I was flying up and meeting them. Ok, blah blah blah onto the photos and stuff.

Woo, so after leaving Melrose at 5am and driving out to Lake George we arrived at the lodge.
The Six Flags Great Escape Lodge opened in 2006 and while we had all walked around inside, this would be our first time staying here (we used to stay elsewhere in the area when visiting.) The lodge was Six Flags' first and only water park resort built to date and now the only hotel owned by the chain (having sold off Darien Lake)
The lobby was all set for Halloween and Fright Fest.
 A bear!!!
And... a big spider.
The room was surprisingly large with two queens and pull-out sofa (where of course, I ended up...)
The room was nice but felt a bit dated for something not even 10 years old. It wasn't bad but it could use a refresh.
Although the main reason for booking the hotel is for the indoor water park.
White Water Bay
er..... Fright Water Bay
White Water Bay features a nice sized lazy river, 3 major water slides, a splash fort, kid area, and a Flow Rider within the 38,000-square-foot building.
Tak-it-Eesi-Creek, the best of the four indoor lazy rivers I've experienced.
 Water jets near one of the rivers entrance.
One of the pool areas that branch off the river itself with some jets and waterfalls, Lott-A-Watta-Bay.
Another bear! In the kiddie area, Tip-A-Kanu-Beach.
Due to limited space within the water park there are at least three different levels and all three major water slides take place outside of the building itself.
Tall Timbers Treehouse is on the third level and mostly built over Lott-A-Watta-Bay and the lazy river.
It also featured some theming for Halloween
At the top of the stairs is where the three major slides start. Avalanche, Glacier Run, and Snow Shoe Falls. On the far left you can see what used to be the lift for the massive tubes used on Avalanche. When it first opened the slide used the standard circle raft used on most family slide but at some point the park switched over to using the ProSlide Cloverleaf tube that doesn't seem to fit and now guest have to drag the massive tube up stairs on their own (as seen on the right)
Avalanche as seen from outside.
The exit for Glacier Run and Snow Shoe Falls and a little more Halloween theming.
And.... the same slides as seen from outside.
And lastly, Boogie Bear! Bear themed Flow Rider? 
I just couldn't bring myself to try it front of my family
(I've already embarrassed myself on one in Destin, FL)

yaayyy! Six Flags Great Escape Lodge and White Water Bay, a great way to spend a few hours on a chilly fall morning after driving some 5 hours to upstate New York from Boston and waiting for Great Escape (park) to open at noon so I can ride COMET! <3
woo

No comments:

Post a Comment