Monday, September 28, 2015

The Turbulence following a Hurricane.

Ah, Adventureland Long Island... One of the nicest, tiniest parks I've visited. Located in Farmingdale, NY about one third of the way down the Long Island and home to one of the 32 new for 2015 built coasters in the US. This would be my third time making the trek out to the park... and this time, I'd be dragging Yatpay along for the ride! Since I only had a day in NYC (and the Metro area) I had to make the most of it.. Zoo's, Parks, History, and Friends. haha. My first visit to the park was back in 2005 where I rode their at the time current Hurricane coaster, my 200th roller coaster (aww, and to think, since that day I've ridden some 600 more.). Hurricane was retired after the 2014 season and replaced with a custom Mack built spinning coaster that opened in May, Turbulence.
(And with an odd-twist... Hurricane ended up being relocated to Florida, where its now running in Panama Beach City at Race City (where I also happen to be visiting in the next few days!))

So, uh, since someone overslept and missed out on going to the Queens Zoo with me.. I waited in the parking lot after doing my thing for Yatpay to show up from the MTA so we could head down to Long Island.
Just over a half hour later we were pulling into an extremely full Adventureland parking lot... where their were no less than 9,000 school buses parked....Oh, joy.
Adventureland is free to walk around and guests can either get a pay-one-price rate or buy tickets for each ride. Since this was gonna be a One-and-Done stop, I opted for tickets and handed over my $7.50 for a single ride on their new coaster.
Had I planned on spending time here, I would have gotten the day pass like I have on previous visits. Turbulence alone would be worth a re-ride. (and the Frisbee in the park is one of the best I've ridden)
Since Yatpay isn't really into going on coasters (or spinning for that matter) he sat out and took photos while I did my thing, plus he knew I'd be making him ride at least one other coaster later in the day.
Woo, Turbulence!
My second time encountering a Mack spinner 
ZzZzz, the line was pretty long.. Although thanks to two train operations and quick ops, it moved rather quick. (and while lines might not be fun.. it shows the park that the ride was worth installing)
An overview of most of the layout.
The coaster even has its own soundtrack that plays as the train travels up the lift.
And for just $5,000,000 you could have a Turbulence of your own!
Some of the smaller hills even manage to provide a bit of airtime.
The somewhat clunky looking train, although it doesn't take away from the rides quality.
While it was added at the loss of the parks Hurricane coaster, Turbulence is a worthy replacement.
And I'd be fine with more parks around the country adding them
Yaayyy!
Turbulence!

After my single ride on the coaster, I took a few photos and we made our way out of the park and down the street to get some lunch at a Chipotle Mexican Grill before getting stuck in some hellacious traffic heading back towards Brooklyn and the Coney Island area, yaayyy.

And for fun... a POV from CoasterForce.
 Its super fun.
 
Twitter stuffers...
Turbulence photo - Photo
Turbulence video (via Vine) - Video

Woo

No comments:

Post a Comment